Monday, June 28, 2010

JUNE - Hotter and wetter..

It's June and I think the hot and wet season has started. By that I mean the hotter and wetter season.
In the last week I must have woken up to a deluge more often than not, postponing leaving the house one morning by a half hour to wait for the biblical downpour to abate.


At some point what goes up must come down and the forecast for what seems weeks has been sun and rain but the weather patterns have never followed through on the rain part. Yes, we have had some ominous skies, but I can't remember it actually raining in any great measure. Now it seems the time has come and we're settling into a couple of months of rain and general damp.


Which reminds me, I must check the status of my winter clothes. They're in wardrobes, loosely packed with more dehumidifying crystals than you'd find in the sweaty locker of a Bikram Yoga teacher who practiced in the Amazon rain-forest, next to a turkish bath. We have a lot of crystals in our cupboards.


You can buy low voltage air warmers that plug in and fit at the bottom of your wardrobe. They are designed to gently warm and circulate the air so that it doesn't become stale and moisture laden but I don't have power-points in my wardrobes and I'd rather not create an assault course of wires criss-crossing my bedroom floor, I can barely see in the mornings let alone have the dexterity to hop-scotch my way around the room whilst I pick out a shirt.

So now is the important time to become surgically attached to your umbrella, to carry a plastic bag to carry your umbrella in when it inevitably becomes wet and to wear sensible shoes to avoid slipping on the polished tiled floors. I nearly fell on my behind this morning, sliding on the polished concrete of a gas-station forecourt on account of the river of rainwater running across it. So beware, any place can get you and no one is going to rush to your aid ensuring they can get you compensation. Compensation doesn't work the same way as it does in more litigious nations; if you have an accident in Singapore then it's probably your fault so you'd better learn from it. The school of hard-knocks indeed.


Shovel

No comments:

Post a Comment